Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 24

Day 24 - A picture of something you wish you could change

I suppose this is the post where I'm supposed to say I wish my kid didn't have Autism. And there are days when that certainly is the truth. But even with all the meltdowns, sensory issues, and delays, I still dig Ben just the way he is. He is a sweet, lovable, funny and intelligent little boy who, like his dad, makes me laugh almost daily. yeah, there are a few things I wish were easier for him. But we are working on changing that instead of sitting around wishing for it, you know?

You know what I would change? Other people. Other snooty, artificial, smug, sanctimonious, superficial, insecure, hurtful, bullying, know-it-all, DOUCHEBAGS who feel they have to place judgment on me or my kid because he is different from others. Yeah, he doesn't always respond to your greetings, and sometimes he likes to hand flap or spin, and he rides a smaller school bus, and his speech is still a bit of a garbled mess and he will occasionally lose it at the grocery store. But he's cuter than hell, sweet and altruistic, and gives the best hugs. What I wish I had was a STFU button for those people who refuse to see that. THAT'S what I would change

Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing. Not if it meant I lost this precious little boy who hugs me on a whim, loves tickles and seems to take the world head-on. In all of his struggles, I can tell that he is really trying--and that is all that matters. As long as we continue to try, the more we continue to grow. Something from which I think a few previously mentioned people could benefit.

That, or a cockpunch. Either one would work.