Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 30

Day 30 - A picture of someone you miss.

This is more of a list. And mostly they are good friends or mentors with whom I have lost touch over distance and time.

• Steve Spivey--dearest friend from high school who no doubt shuns all forms of social media.

• Eric Thomas--cohort from college who stood by me on what was then my darkest day, without question, and with the willingness to harm someone if I had requested it. Someone needs to consider himself lucky.

• Rod Sievers--the one professor with whom I felt comfortable sitting at the bar arguing about Thomas Jefferson and the basics of social history--MY kind of history. You were a force of will, you old coot. And impossible to drink under the table.

• Lori--whose last name I never knew--hippie chick with whom I worked at the sprout farm, who had the biggest heart and an open soul. we worked together on the weekends and would discuss Wicca, nature, the soul and our love affair with jerks. I miss our long talks, chica.

• Theresa Hyde--old friend from Indiana. Time and cultures changed us both in hard ways, but I miss the camaraderie we once had.

• Tracy Numark--my JSU co-captain. You taught me what it was to be a Jew--not just shul and davening, but to really be in it. I miss the passion of your convictions.

• Harry Wells--the one professor in the RS department that was not full of himself or trying to prove something. I miss our arguments, and sitting at the spinning wheel discussing the finer points of religious life.

I'm lucky to say the list pretty much ends there. The other people in my life with whom I had lost contact--good AND bad have come back thanks to the beauty of Facebook. I have to say it is an amazing vehicle of communication and connection. And as much as Mark Zuckerberg is a bit of a douche (or is he just a high functioning aspie?), he did create an amazing platform. And I'm thankful for all those old friends with whom I can keep up and talk to daily. For this self-proclaimed hermit, it is the perfect venue.


well--this is the end of my 30 day experiment, and i have to say it's been interesting. we'll have to see if it actually built the habit of daily writing, or if i'll fall of the face of the planet in the next few days...