Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jealous

O! beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on.
~William Shakespeare, Othello


Yeah, i'll admit it.  I'm jealous.


The grass is always greener, yada yada yada.  But sometimes, looking at other parents at the park or the mall, i get a little green-eyed.


I see parents ask their kids questions--kids ben's age or younger, and the child will answer them.  with a coherent answer.  Answers to questions like, what do you want to be for Halloween, or what kind of birthday party do you want?


or, what did you do at school today?


I'm jealous of parents who can reason with their kids, argue and use psychology.  What?  you don't like green beans?  i hear Brobie likes green beans?  I guess i'll have to tell him you don't...


I'm jealous of parents whose kids are in soccer, t-ball, basketball, karate and dance.  That it is a non-issue for them to enroll them wherever and generally watch them have a good time.


I'm jealous of parents who can actually make plans and keep to them, and not have to make game-day decisions on a daily basis.




And then my kid will walk up to me, for no reason, and lean into me, and smile, and tell me "hugs make happy"


and i tell myself those other parents can go fuck themselves.  Because nothing is cuter than that, and their little cross-eyed freaks will never be this adorable. 
('cause i'm a little petty like that)


and i give him a hug, and we go outside to blow bubbles.


Eat it, jealousy.